Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Found a fun and effective way to gain more control of Shamus on the leash while walking.

Heel! Heel! Heel! While heel is the most common method or phrase used in keeping your dog at your side it does not always work.  Shamus took to the heel but he still needs some work on remaining calm when children walk by or a skateboarder or even a cat or other dog. I got frustrated and decided to think about it a little. I came up with this...

While walking I will come to a stop and immediately, with a firm voice command Shamus to 'sit down'. He sits. I then say 'wait'. After I see that he is waiting in the sit position I then tell him 'ok'. With that said we begin to walk again. After just a few steps I come to a stop and command him to 'sit down' again. He stops and sits down. 'wait' ... After I see he is waiting I give him the 'ok' and we begin walking again. I did this on every walk for a couple of days. Next is the tricky part. I would tell him a few times with sounds like 'sit down' and 'wait' and 'ok'. Now I go to a busy street and do the same steps while walking past people and animals. Yay!!! Shamus!!! You did it!! 

Now try it with just stopping and see if he sits... GOOD BOY!! 

Worked with Shamus. Having problems with your dog on the leash? Try this technique. Practice really does make perfect so even if you are sure your dog has got it... Keep going over it with them once in a while. Pop-quiz your dog, he or she will love the exercise you are giving their brain. I reward Shamus with LOVE LOVE LOVE because that is what he can't get enough of. I almost feel like LOVE is more effective as a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment